Motivation is a push factor. It’s an outside force compelling you to take action, even if you don’t necessarily want to. Inspiration, on the other hand, is more of a pull or driving force. It comes from within and gets us to proactively give our best effort. Motivation refers to a process of stimulating someone to act in a definite way to achieve a goal. Inspiration is an act of influencing people mentally and emotionally to do something creative.
The difference between motivation and inspiration can be clearly understood by referring to the following points:
- Motivation refers to a process of stimulating someone to act in a definite way to achieve a goal. Inspiration is an act of influencing people mentally and emotionally to do something creative.
- Motivation is something that impels or persuades you to take action, whereas inspiration is what pulls you towards something.
- There is a sense of resistance and competitiveness in motivation, while inspiration has a sense of excitement and effortlessness.
- Motivation is short-lived, i.e., suppose you attend a seminar on a great personality, after which you feel excited to do something, but after a specific period of a couple of weeks or days, the urge will start declining. On the other hand, inspiration is enduring in nature that resides in us and makes us committed until we attain the goal.
- Motivation comes from an external source which can be your reward, recognition, appreciation, etc. Although the source of inspiration is internal, a deep desire emerges inside us.
- Motivation is a deliberate or planned instinct to take a step. Conversely, in the case of inspiration, that impulse is spontaneous.
- Motivation is due to several reasons like self-imposed or societal expectations, obligations, and peer pressure that pushes us to do something, unlike inspiration which involves a natural and organic call from deep within us.
Where to Find Inspiration
We can pull a lot of inspiration from history. Look at old art history magazines and dive into the past of what you’re passionate about: furniture design, interior design, fashion, and machine design. Everything old becomes new; sometimes, that is the best place to resurrect ideas.
How do I unleash my inner artist?
- Acknowledge that everything you do requires creative energy.
- Know that we were put on this earth to create.
- Exercise, physically and mentally.
- Create a stimulating environment and get in the zone.
Six steps to inspiring and motivating others
- Be motivated and inspire yourself. You will never inspire others unless you are motivated and inspired yourself.
- Treat each person as an individual.
- Provide them with a challenge.
- Keep them informed of progress.
- Create a motivating environment.
Creativity is our companion. Take time to look back at your own inventive work. Do you recognize yourself in your art? This flash of recognition inspires us as we witness our achievements; the impetus roused by our creations will urge us forward to accomplish once again. (EZM)
WE&P by: EZorrillaM.