Common causes of insomnia include stress, an irregular sleep schedule, poor sleeping habits, mental health disorders like anxiety and depression, physical illnesses and pain, medications, neurological problems, and specific sleep disorders
Why do I keep waking up at 3am?
You wake up at 3am because this is the time you shift from a deep sleep into a lighter sleep. If you turn in at 11pm, by three in the morning you’re mostly out of deep sleep and shifting into longer periods of lighter sleep, known as REM.
Types of Insomnia
- Transient insomnia – Less than one month.
- Short-term insomnia – Between one and six months.
- Chronic insomnia – More than six months.
A warm bath or a massage before bedtime can help prepare you for sleep. Create a relaxing bedtime ritual, such as taking a hot bath, reading, soft music, breathing exercises such as the 4-7-8 technique below, yoga or prayer. Avoid trying too hard to sleep. The harder you try, the more awake you’ll become.
The 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as “relaxing breath,” involves breathing in for 4 seconds, holding the breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling for 8 seconds. This breathing pattern aims to reduce anxiety or help people get to sleep. Some proponents claim that the method helps people get to sleep in 1 minute
‣ Animation create by Mindfulness Meditation Music
‣ Footage and images under licence (envato, storyblocks, istock, stock.adobe…)
‣ All right reserved and published by Mindfulness Meditation Music ♪
WE&P by: EZorrilla.