The best way to avoid jet lag is to stay for the weekend.
The main symptoms of jet lag are: difficulty sleeping at bedtime and waking up in the morning. tiredness and exhaustion. difficulty staying awake during the day. This is because travelling west ‘prolongs’ the body clock’s experience of its normal day-night cycle (the normal tendency of the body clock in most of us is slightly longer than 24 hours).
8 tips to get over jet lag.
Adapt quickly to your new time zone. When you arrive at your destination, try to forget your old time zone as quickly as possible.
Manage sleep time.
Try light music.
Keep your sleeping space comfortable.
Try melatonin sparingly
Use medications carefully and with a doctor’s advice. Meditate and follow the equal breathing exercise technique.
BENEFITS OF EQUAL BREATHING
- Relaxes the central nervous system.
- Improves focus and concentration.
- Establishes a rhythm for your practice.
- Quiets the mind.
- Helps you to access your full breathing capacity.
Equal breathing is known as sama vritti in Sanskrit. This breathing technique focuses on making your inhales and exhales the same length. Making your breath smooth and steady can help bring about balance and equanimity.
You should find a breath length that is not too easy and not too difficult. You also want it to be too fast, so that you’re able to maintain it throughout the practice. Usually, this is between 3 and 5 counts.
Once you get used to equal breathing while seated you can do it during your yoga practice or other daily activities.
To do it:
- Choose a comfortable seated position.
- Breathe in and out through your nose.
- Count during each inhale and exhale to make sure they are even in duration. Alternatively, choose a word or short phrase to repeat during each inhale and exhale.
- You can add a slight pause or breath retention after each inhale and exhale if you feel comfortable. (Normal breathing involves a natural pause.)
- Continue practicing this breath for at least 3 minutes.
To breathe properly is to live properly. – Robin Sharma